This 4½ day course provides a basic understanding on how to use Experimental Modal Analysis (EMA) and Operating Deflection Shape (ODS) Analysis.
The focus of this class is on applying these powerful diagnostic tools on real-world machinery and structures rather than expending class time on deriving high-level mathematical formulas (a background in differential equations and Laplace transforms will aid the student in comprehending concepts taught, but is not required since such mathematics is now taken care of by the software).
Knowing how to employ ODS and Experimental Modal Analysis has become particularly important today now that Resonance is one of the leading (and often, The Leading) problem to which today’s machinery is subjected.
The emphasis in this class will be on how to properly perform ODS and EMA measurements, how to interpret their results from computer animations, and how to formulate meaningful recommended corrective actions required to resolve problem conditions found.
The following topics are covered:
- Theory - Experimental Modal Analysis (with primary focus on impact excitation).
- Theory - Operating Deflection Shape (ODS) analysis.
Extensive overview of ME'scopeVES v6.0 software and hands on use (about 50% of class time).
- Creating a Project
- Drawing Structures (3D Models)
- Importing Data to ME'scopeVES
- Curve Fitting Data (Modal Analysis FRF and ODS data)
- Animating Models
- Analyzing and Interpreting Test Data Results (ODS, ODS FRF, and Modal)
- Documenting Test Results
- Test setup and performing Impact Modal Tests.
- Test setup and performing ODS Analysis on rotor kit.
- Determining the dynamic forces acting on a machine's bearing housing or support structure.
- Introduction to Structural Dynamics Modifications (SDM) to predict the effect of modifications to the model (before modifications are actually made to the test structure).
- Introduction to developing Finite Element Analysis models using ME'scopeVES.
- Case studies of industrial machinery vibration problems analyzed using Experimental Modal and ODS Analysis.